Monday, March 12, 2012

Food Preparation and Protein Cereal Recipe

Happy Motivational Monday!
I have had a lot of people, in general, ask me on a daily basis about my diet, what I eat, and anything relating to nutrition for quite some time. It has taken a lot of trial and error with me because I have a very sensitive stomach. I cannot eat rich foods and am very picky when I go to restaurants. I stick with basics and foods that I know. Converting to a lacto-ovo vegetarian was one of the best decisions I ever made. Main staples in my diet include: eggs, oats, yogurt, nuts, protein powder, flax seed, Gardenburger veggie burgers, and fresh vegetables. For the most part, I eat the same foods day in and day out with an over consumption of calories on Saturday evening to reset the body - physiologically and psychologically. Some people can do that, some people can’t and that is okay, you just have to find what works for YOU. The goal is to not feel deprived, this will backfire!
Below is a picture of my fridge on a Sunday evening. I cook oats in the crock pot and 3-egg omelets for the week. My veggie burgers are in the freezer and yogurt is piled high in the drawer under all this Tupperware. In order to succeed, we have to plan and prepare.
How do you plan for the week ahead in terms of nutrition? What do you do now and what small change can you make?

Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Cereal

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Garbanzo Bean Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
  • 1/4 cup Soy Flour (I used Sprout's)
  • 1/3 cup Protein Powder
  • 1-2 TB Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1 TB Coconut Oil
  • 1 TB Natural Peanut Butter (I used TJ’s Unsalted Crunch Peanut Butter)
  • organic cane sugar/Splenda for sprinkling (optional) 
*Note: The type of protein powder will make a difference. Try to use a blend of whey, soy and casein. EAS Premium Protein Powder and Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Builder have both worked great!
 
Instructions:
Combine flours, powders and salt in a bowl. Add water and mix well before adding coconut oil and peanut butter. Stir well and make sure the coconut oil and peanut butter are melted within the batter.

Line an 11” x 17” rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour contents of bowl onto pan.  Make sure to spread somewhat thin, or baking will take longer. (Honestly, I like mine thick, so I cooked it longer.)
Spread the mixture. Sprinkle with a bit of sugar, if desired. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes (I baked mine for 35-40 minutes).
When it is done baking, the edges will be curled up and the cereal sheet will be crisp. It might be a tad soft in the middle, but that is just because the batter was a little too thick. No worries, just place it in the oven and continue baking until somewhat firm.

Grab a pizza cutter or a knife and cut the cereal into small squares. Yields 4 servings. Enjoy!


Have a wonderful week and GET. IT. DONE.

4 comments:

  1. What I eat is my new frontier! I have seven months to completely reshape my body. My trainer will keep me doing what I need to do in the gym, and I can do the "mind" work...what I really wish is that someone was telling me exactly what to eat and when to eat it! I'm going to take a look at this blog very carefully. Thanks Carisse!
    (P.S. I was #1 in my age group of women in yesterday's race!!!!! But now I'm not going to race again til October...and then I hope to have a different body to race with!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious to try this I am always funny about mixing chocolate & peanut butter don't usually like them together but occasionally find something that works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and the pre-making your omelets inspired me just made mine for my next 4 work days :)

    ReplyDelete