Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"The Last Heart Attack"

Great news! The Last Heart Attack is now available online. It is about 45 minutes long and provides some insight in to living a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. I highly recommend this to anyone and everyone!  The show, which features former president Bill Clinton and FOK’s Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, explores the signs, tests and lifestyle changes that could make cardiac problems a thing of the past.

A gradual progression of decreasing meat from my diet started a little over a year ago. I had meat every once in a while, but for the most part, I just preferred to pass. In December, I had kidney surgery with my third bout of kidney stones. I currently have kidney stones and my urologist suggested a more vegetarian approach. Diet plays a role in kidney stone development but only about 10%. My body is metabolically programmed to producing stones, it’s an ongoing battle. However, this was the push to considering myself vegetarian and to make a conscious effort to avoid meat, fish and poultry. These foods may lead to more stones as they increase the excretion of calcium in the urine, which is filtered by the kidneys, leading to a build up.

I just wanted to share this documentary as it covers cholesterol, atherosclerosis, diet, exercise, and varying views. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment