Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Exercise vs. Rest



Due to a recent injury, I wanted to share the importance of rest and recovery. A world-renowned exercise physiologist Per-Olof Astrand and various other health professionals have done studies to conclude that we keep hold of 70% of our total energy, leaving 30% for activities of daily living (ADLs), and exercise. The 70% is used for tissue recovery and repair.
If we use more than the 30% allotted for ADLs, we experience a loss in our energy reserves which lead to tissue breakdown, or degeneration, leading to painful conditions and overuse injuries.
The rest and recovery are more important than the training, itself. It is the rest after exercise that increases our fitness and performance.
The total energy available varies with age, fitness level, and after illness or surgery. I also want to include that diet plays a part in available energy as well.
High-intensity strength training and power training are the most taxing on the body and require the appropriate amount of rest between sets and exercise sessions. Plyometric training should only be performed about 1-2 times per week. Plyometrics include jumps, leaps, and bounds and are also demanding on the body. Lower intensity exercises, including cycling, swimming, and jogging for the trained individual, may be performed for longer durations and daily, if possible.
Moral of the story, we must balance out exercise and rest. Training adaptations occur OUTSIDE of the gym. Be gentle to the body, and even more so as we age. Your body will thank you!
-C

No comments:

Post a Comment